Old 26-08-2011, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Boron Elgar[_2_] Boron Elgar[_2_] is offline

Default Mortgage Lifter

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:04:10 -0700 (PDT), fsadfa
wrote:

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

I don't believe heirloom tomatoes are supposed to satisfy that
criteria, you can saved the seeds for next year, that is about it.

There seems to be some misconception that modern hybrids were bred
solely for looks and shelf life, this is of course true for some
hybrids, used by commercial growers. But the other side of the coin is
that another group of hybrids have been bred solely for taste for the
home gardener, that are far superior in taste to any heirlooms. The
hybrids took over pretty quickly when introduced was no accident, they
are better in every way, but you have to pay for the seeds every year.

I do not think you understood at all what I posted.

I don't care what variety the tomato I grew was - whether heirloom or
hybrid - I just want it identified.

I have not praised hybrids or heirlooms over each other, and place my
interest in flavor above all. It does me no good if a tomato
withstands all blights and predation only to produce cardboard fruit.
Similarly, I get no benefit from a potentially delicious fruit that
never gets to ripen on the vine.

Although I am an inveterate seed saver and known to toss any sort of
kitchen seed or pit into the dirt in an attempt to coax germination, I
am also savvy enough to buy cheap seeds when the opportunity presents
itself. Really, it isn't that large a part of my gardening budget that
it concerns me in the least.

I have a date palm growing...the pit came from a piece of fruit was
on a breakfast plate at a hotel in Las Vegas last spring. That's my
kind of fun.

Boron