Old 26-08-2011, 02:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Mortgage Lifter

In article ,
Boron Elgar wrote:

On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 12:04:10 -0700 (PDT), fsadfa
wrote:

I wish I knew what the "heirloom tomato" really was as it has produced
fruit that is everything that exemplifies a home grown tomato with
indescribably delicious complexity of taste.

I don't believe heirloom tomatoes are supposed to satisfy that
criteria, you can saved the seeds for next year, that is about it.

There seems to be some misconception that modern hybrids were bred
solely for looks and shelf life, this is of course true for some
hybrids, used by commercial growers. But the other side of the coin is
that another group of hybrids have been bred solely for taste for the
home gardener, that are far superior in taste to any heirlooms. The
hybrids took over pretty quickly when introduced was no accident, they
are better in every way, but you have to pay for the seeds every year.

I do not think you understood at all what I posted.

I don't care what variety the tomato I grew was - whether heirloom or
hybrid - I just want it identified.

I have not praised hybrids or heirlooms over each other, and place my
interest in flavor above all. It does me no good if a tomato
withstands all blights and predation only to produce cardboard fruit.
Similarly, I get no benefit from a potentially delicious fruit that
never gets to ripen on the vine.

Although I am an inveterate seed saver and known to toss any sort of
kitchen seed or pit into the dirt in an attempt to coax germination, I
am also savvy enough to buy cheap seeds when the opportunity presents
itself. Really, it isn't that large a part of my gardening budget that
it concerns me in the least.

I have a date palm growing...the pit came from a piece of fruit was
on a breakfast plate at a hotel in Las Vegas last spring. That's my
kind of fun.

Boron

How nice for you.

I presume that your unidentified "heirloom" tomato is still in
production, it being only the 25th of Aug., and still full summer here
in the northern hemisphere. I realize that a person of your experience
doesn't require assistance, so just let me answer this question for
others who may encounter this problem, but who don't have your wealth of
knowledge. I have suggestions as to what you can do with your tomatoes.
The most productive one would be to take a tomato and a leaf to a local
nursery to try and match it, or as Susan "The Cook" would suggest, your
local ag. extension office.
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/index.html

No anecdotes required.

OK, at ease. If you got 'em, plant 'em.
--
- Billy
Both the House and Senate budget plan would have cut Social Security and Medicare, while cutting taxes on the wealthy.

Kucinich noted that none of the government programs targeted for
elimination or severe cutback in House Republican spending plans
"appeared on the GAO's list of government programs at high risk of
waste, fraud and abuse."
http://www.politifact.com/ohio/state...is-kucinich/re
p-dennis-kucinich-says-gop-budget-cuts-dont-targ/

[W]e have the situation with the deficit and the debt and spending and jobs. And it's not that difficult to get out of it. The first thing you do is you get rid of corporate welfare. That's hundreds of billions of dollars a year. The second is you tax corporations so that they don't get away with no taxation.
- Ralph Nader
http://www.democracynow.org/2011/7/19/ralph_naders_solution_to_debt_crisis