Old 26-08-2011, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris J Dixon Chris J Dixon is offline

Default low hedge - sort of

harry wrote:

On Aug 25, 6:50*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Between *a friend's house and the next one there is a small strip of
ground.
The houses are a cul de sac of large detached but modern houses with
drives only just big enough to contain a car's length and the re is no
proper boundary between each house - rather there is just the tiny strip
about 3 foot wide that goes road.
I know both owners and they wanted me to recommend something other than
the unruly (possibly as it's never been pruned) half-dead lavender in
situ at the moment.
i thought of box balls (nothing too high as the two families get on very
well and so would prefer something quite low,
Perhaps that Ilex that is similar to box or maybe, i thought a row of
small hardy fuchsias though they might stretch out a bit with their
growths in summer and these houses can't really afford the space so it
really should be confined to the three foot wide.

I even thought of rosemary but wondered if anyone out there had a
brighter idea?

p.s. You guessed it, neither are gardeners ! So it really ought to be
something that doesn't show neglect easily.

You need to look at your deeds. There is a boundary there. You are
coming to see the benefits of a brick wall. Wait until you have kids
or animals next door.
What you have at the moment is a cost saving exercise by the builders
of your house.

Do you ever bother to read what is actually written before you
post?

Have another look.

Chris
--