Old 26-08-2011, 02:52 PM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Corin View Post
We plan to replant with (non-running) bamboo of various types. We have lots of space on that side of the garden, so the clumps of bamboo won't be a nuisance, even if they spread ten feet wide each. We can plant the bamboo in front of the remains of the conifer stumps and let it work its way into that area as it is able. Our 'neighbour' is a large field, so the stump remains wouldn't be an eyesore.
Be aware that the only truly non-running bamboos you can routinely grow in this country are Fargesias and Thamnocalamus (there rae some others, but they are expensive connoisseur things). If a seller tries to tell you that a Phyllostachys or Pseudosasa or Semiarundinaria is non-running, they are either ignorant or lying. Of course there are plenty of individual cases of Phyllostachys and Pseudosasa being planted and behaving very timidly for many years in this country, and of course none of them has remotely the rampant qualities of the thug that is Sasa palmata. But you can't rely on them staying put.