Old 26-08-2011, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael michael is offline

Default Lack of rain in some areas

On Aug 25, 10:48*am, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 22:26:56 +0100 (BST), wrote:
In article ,
Dave Hill wrote:

After 2 days of "Summer" , here in "Sunny South Wales" we had a 15 min
burst of heavy rain at around 11am, and nothing since then so I was
able to finish cutting the grass, it's 3rd cut of the year.

Nothing of consequence here, on the edge of the prairie, but what
else is new?

The plague of mosquitoes released near Wageningen NL, only flew
between 50 and 150 metres from where they were released. You can come
out from under your mosquito net.
--

Martin

It seems as though my experience is not shared in other regions.We
happen to be in two microclimates which avoid rain usually.
In Cheadle Hulme (S.Manchester) we are aware that often rain falls all
around us but not here.It is all to do with the prevailing winds
across the Pennines which seem to steer the wind and rain away from
us.
In Fownhope (S.Herefordshire),rain coming from the West falls on the
Black Mountains and has disappeared by the time the winds reach
us.Rain coming from the East seems to deposit itself on The Cotswolds
and Gloucester before reaching us.
So normally,we have little rain but this year very little or none at
all.
I am sure that you can come up with other similar microclimates,but so
far(apart from Cheshire)most of you have had significant rain.
Since writing this blog,we have had some rain in both areas but not
much.
Michael