Old 26-08-2011, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Self sown tomatoes

Vicky wrote...

Bob Hobden wrote:
Similar problem with bindweed, despite it gradually taking over some
plots
the "new" gardeners refuse to spray it with Glyphosate, against their
principles they say, I suppose it will be left to the person that takes
over
once they give up after they have made it impossible to garden for
themselves.
Rant over.

I suppose you'll have to lump me in as a "new" gardener, then, since I
don't
do either.

I don't have any problem with an experienced gardener taking the "organic"
route because they are, presumably, doing it with the full knowledge of how
much extra effort it will take and what extra crop losses they will incur.
What frustrates me are new gardeners trying to go "organic" straight away
when they don't make the time to garden properly anyway, and their plots
(and more annoyingly, neighbours) then have problems which could be sorted
out quickly at minimum effort.

From the Soil Association web site.....
"There are four pesticides which organic farmers are allowed to use as
a very last resort to save their crop. These are copper, derris, sulphur
and soft soap."

Bit of a silly comment as with Blight by the time your toms have it it's too
late to save the crop with copper! But I suppose no farmers in the UK grow
toms outside.

Regarding Glyphosate, I have not seen any research on how it is used,
usually as a one off spot treatment, on an allotment to kill pernicious
weeds. All research I have read is regarding the continued and constant
spraying of crop fields and the problems that then occur, a totally
different unrelated type of use entirely.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK