Old 26-08-2011, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default If you were getting rid of an evergreen windbreak...

On Aug 26, 7:22*am, Laura Corin Laura.Corin.
wrote:
echinosum;933868 Wrote:

The main exception being cypresses and the like, which, in compensation
for their other unpleasant habits, will at least stop growing if pruned
at ground level.

I have the stump of a cypress I cut down 10 years ago, which I suspect
predated most of the other conifers in the garden, as it was much
fatter. All the others I was able to dig out the stump by hand, but this
one is too big. *But the remaining stump has barely rotted at all in 10
years.

That's not what I hoped to hear, but it's good to know. *We plan to
replant with (non-running) bamboo of various types. *We have lots of
space on that side of the garden, so the clumps of bamboo won't be a
nuisance, even if they spread ten feet wide each. *We can plant the
bamboo in front of the remains of the conifer stumps and let it work its
way into that area as it is able. *Our 'neighbour' is a large field, so
the stump remains wouldn't be an eyesore.

Thanks

Laura

--
Laura Corin

If you had said they were conifers at the start it would have made
answering your question so much easier.