Old 28-08-2011, 08:41 AM
Laura Corin Laura Corin is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannerman View Post
Hi Laura, My feelings are that if your planning on planting bamboo, I wouldnt worry too much as bamboo are not fussy. If you wanted to take out the stumps, I would remove the tops of these conifers, leaving about 6-8ft of the trunks and then using a monkey winch, winch out these stumps using the trunks to attach the cable and pull them over ! you can hire these winches quite cheaply and its not very hard to use them, use the strongest trunk (or a tree if one is near enough) as the anchor but as I said, its not necessary in my opinion to remove the roots if your planting bamboo !
Lannerman.
Very interesting idea - thank you. We have a very large and sturdy beech which we could use as an anchor point for a monkey winch. Or we could just ignore the stumps and plant the bamboo.

Thanks again,

Laura