Old 28-08-2011, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
[email protected] stephen.hull@btinternet.com is offline

Default Something has had me goldfish?

In message
"Interloper" wrote:

Stephen wrote:

Some of the goldfish we lost where about 8inches long,
are they not too big for a grass snake to take?

I imagine they would be too big. Mind you, a female grass snake can grow to
over a metre long, so might be able to handle an 8-incher on a good day!

However, I think it's much more likely that a heron was the culprit.

A nylon net and/or trip wires are probably your best answer.

Incidentally, is your pond quite shallow at the edges? A deep pond deters
herons as they don't like to get their trousers wet. They like to wade into
shallow water.

I built a pond that had steep sides and no shallow areas. I only ever lost
fish to grass snakes.

I spread a sprinkling of talcum powder down last night but it
rained and we still have the two fish left.
However today I've used some garden canes around the pond entwined
with twine, that should stop the heron or cat getting in.

The pond is deep at all the edges giving no purchase for something
to stand on, its straight in if they do.
I don't think there are any grass snakes round here as I've
not heard anyone mention them at all.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk