Old 28-08-2011, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hi does anyone know what these two spiky things are, please?

In message
, Amos
Nomore writes
In article ,
Glenys Everest wrote:

Hi There!!

First question = what are these plants both called?

The plant in the first two pictures is a broom, most likely Scotch Broom
(Cytisus scoparius) but possibly Spanish Broom (Spartium junceum).

Cytisus scoparius is just broom in Britain.

They
are easily cultivated from seed and are fast growers once established,
but they are considered invasive in many locales. The plant in the
third picture looks familiar but ID evades me.

It might be Cosmos bipinnatus. (I see Centaurea cyanus, Eschscholtzia
californica and what might be Helianthus annuus in that photo, so it
looks like an annual seed mix).

Second = Is it worth raising the "bush" from seeds?
Third = Will the other more feathery plant actually flower at some point
before it swamps our garden and swallows it whole!!??

Fanx

Glenys
Sheffield UK

|Filename: _DSC0008A.jpg |