Old 28-08-2011, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
STEPHEN STEPHEN is offline

Default Conifers

thanks for the advice. this a NG and that is precisely what its for. My
other conifer died because we had moved it, so conifers look like a
temperamental bush. They do not take up allot of space and its perfect for
the space I have for it. I just wanted advice, in which these NG are made
for?
On 2011-08-27 18:32:57 +0100, "Stephen" said:

when is the best time to plant one

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message

"Stephen" wrote in message
I am about to buy a conifer as the other gave up the chase.If I go to
the
local garden centre what should I be asking for.Where its going it as
sun
in the afternoon. I recently changed the garden (re- turfed ) So what
do I
need and is there any hidden danger I should look out for

TIA

Ste

Mark the spot where you intend to plant it, measure 15' in all
directions,
if you have the space to lose that much garden go ahead, if not then the
conifer must be one you can reduce in size in future years without
ending
up with an unsightly brown mess

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Stephen you've been given some good advice and have
been asked a pertinent question. You've ignored both so the rest is up to
you. This isn't an advice bureau. If you *really* need to ask when is a
good time to plant a container-grown plant that will take over several
feet of your garden, in which a similar plant has died, you should,
perhaps, be asking yourself if you're wise in planting a conifer at all.
I mean this in the nicest possible way. I don't think you know what
you're getting yourself into so perhaps you should consider your options.
The hidden dangers with many conifers is that they take up a large amount
of space and few other plants, if any, grow under or near them. Your
choice, of course.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com