Old 29-08-2011, 12:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_3_] The Medway Handyman[_3_] is offline

Default Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 28/08/2011 23:47, Steve Walker wrote:
On 28/08/2011 10:20, Peter James wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

In article1k6pbn0.zrjw1i1dikjd4N%pfjames2000@googlem ail.com,
Peter wrote:
Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the world will do.

How about Roy Castle a man who died from lung cancer and who never
smoked. Said he picked up the disease from the night clubs he
worked in
and where smoking was rampant.
For further information see the following URL's.

One swallow - even with a famous name - does not a summer make. And
even
if it did, there's a very big difference between working all your
life in
smoky rooms and having neighbours who smoke outdoors.

Indeed. But did you read the attached URL's?

I suppose you are a strong believer in the tobacco companies assertion
that there is no proven link between tobacco and lung disease?

There is conclusive evidence to link active smoking with lung cancer.
Passive smoking is however a myth.

I believe that there is link, but I also believe that the increased risk
is probably low enough for me to ignore. I cannot however ignore the
awful smell, the affect on my eyes and my throat or the smell on my
clothes and my hair the next morning.

As a heavy smoker I can appreciate that.

For two and a half years I was suffering from asthma (still do of
course) and pulmonary sarcoidosis (declared clear just over a year ago),
yet "friends" still insisted on smoking around me.

TBF Steve, you need to address your 'friends' attitude.