Old 29-08-2011, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
The Medway Handyman[_3_] The Medway Handyman[_3_] is offline

Default Blowing Neighbours smell away

On 29/08/2011 13:30, Steve Walker wrote:
On 29/08/2011 02:04, Steve Walker wrote:
On 28/08/2011 23:24, Steve Walker wrote:
On 27/08/2011 16:18, Interloper wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" mocked:

Why don't you try getting a life?

Most likely Dave has already got a life and he is trying to hang on
to it
and his health by avoiding passive smoking.

Could you name someone who as died from passive smoking? Anywhere in
the
world will do.

Roy Castle?

Alas not. Lung cancer yes. 10% of lung cancer deaths occur in non
smokers.

Most of the people I know who don't want anyone smoking near them are
not overly concerned about passive smoking, they just can't stand the
odour, the sore eyes, the sore throat and the smelly clothes they
end up
with from being around smokers.

An entirely reasonable view.

I have no wish to inflict the by products of smoking on others.

Equally, I can't see why non smokers should inflict their views on
smokers.

Because smokers are the ones carrying out an action and inflicting their
smoke on non-smokers, whereas non-smokers simply want them to stop doing
so. We don't care whether you smoke or not, we simply want you not to
inflict that smoke on us. If I kept squirting water around in a pub,
everyone near me would rightly want me to stop, they would however have
no objection to me watering my garden plants, as that wouldn't affect
them.

But a separate pub or bar isn't possible?

No, because the selfish smoker will insist on everyone in a group being
in the smoking bar.

Are you some kind of wimp?

More importantly, the staff are stuck in there too and as has been
mentioned elsewhere, an employer has to minimise or eliminate risks -
regardless of whether the employee is willing to take them.

Bar staff don't smoke of course.