Old 29-08-2011, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Blowing Neighbours smell away

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Huge wrote:
I find it very amusing. Non smokers always said how much they hated
pubs because of the smoke. Now they're all non smoking, they're
closing in droves...

So the predatory behaviour of brewers, discount alcohol from supermarkets
and the drink-drive laws have nothing to do with it?

You think these only started after the smoking ban? Have you tried asking
those publicans who's pubs have had to close?

They were interviewing publicans on BBC WM a couple of months ago about the
closing of pubs.
Half of them said the smoking ban had had a positive effect and they now
served more food and had families in.
the other half said they were going broke.
You can draw whatever conclusion you like.
I note that there are now far more places to go than pubs, like smoke free
restaurants, cinemas, etc.
Pubs that don't offer more than drinking look like dying pubs to me. If you
just want to drink then its a lot cheaper at home.