Old 20-04-2003, 06:24 AM
Robert Flory

Default otos "attacking" other fish?

From
http://www.aquaticscape.com/informat...#Prophylactics

"Otocinclus sp.
Otocinclus are diligent algae eaters, but are best kept in schools due to
their small size. One per 10 gallons is a useful rule of thumb. Various
species of otos are seen in the shops at various times; most are good algae
eaters but some seem to prefer the slime coat on fish to algae.
Unfortunately, there seems to be no way to distinguish the "attack otos"
from normal otos. Otos seem to be very delicate fish, but this is probably
due to capture and shipping abuse rather than an inherent weakness. When a
fish shop gets some in, it is wise to wait a while before purchasing to
account for die offs. Most people report getting a dozen and having them die
over a period of a few months until just a couple are left. Those then seem
to last for a long time. "

I stumbled across this.....

Bob
"Bob A" wrote in message
I am having a problem in my tank for a couple of weeks now, and I've been
trying to get some help on other groups since it is fish-related. I just
read a post here alluding to otos going after the slime coating on other
fish. This is something I wasn't aware of..

First my tiger barbs, now most of my fish, are scratching against plants

and
the heater, etc. I've seen some things that made me think gill flukes

(esp
the tiger barbs' gills look discolored). This is the thing... my dad
yesterday said he saw an oto attach to a fish briefly. I didn't think

much
of it. There is still plenty of algae in my tank, both green spot and
diatomous (sp?) brown and I've never seen them doing anything but eating
this.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

bob

ps - no ich spots anywhere