Old 31-08-2011, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Cox's Apples

On Aug 31, 5:11*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
My daughter and son in law has a Cox's Apple which is laden. I chose one the
other day, gently lifted and twisted and it fell into my hands. A sign on my
massive Bramley at my last house, that it was ripe. 'fraid not, still hard
and quite bitter.

What's the signal please? OR, they picked as described and stored?

I would guess there are some experts out there ;-)

Mike

If the tree/branch is small/reachable, give it a shake. The ripe ones
fall off. Come back in a day or two & repeat.
I climb into our larger trees and shake the branches. Wife picks up.
Saves all the poxy trouble of going round tweaking them & lots can't
be reached anyway on our big trees.