Old 01-09-2011, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
JustTom JustTom is offline

Default Mortgage Lifter

What you describe doesn't sound like a mortgage lifter to me.

By "pretty", do you mean round, uniform and really red, like a
grocery store tomato?

My ML are huge, non-uniform in both shape and color, prone to
cracking, and generally just ugly. Definitely not pretty, but very
meaty and tasty, with few seeds and not very much juice.

We've been eating on a red one for the past couple of days. I put a
slice on a turkey sandwich and the slice overlapped a normal slice of
white bread by a couple of inches on every side. Not even enough
juice to make the bread soggy. If I were guessing, it likely weighed
at least a pound and a half.

Are you sure they are true ML?

tom

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:28:35 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

So I planted some Mortgage Lifter tomatoes this year. The plants grew
very well, were most prolific in flowering, setting and ripening of
fruit.

The only problem is that the tomatoes are not wonderful. They look
fabulous. They would make ideal magazine shots or state fair entries,
but they are, at least to me, underweight for their size and have no
depth of flavor whatsoever.