Old 02-09-2011, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Fertilizing blueberries

I put in two bushes a few months ago, in my own very good planting
mix. Being new at blueberries I let the nursery sell me a box of
E.B. Stone Organics food for Azaleas, Camellias and Gardenias --
plants that also need acidic conditions, which they said would be
appropriate for blueberries.

The formula is % 5 N, 5 P2O5, 3 K2O, 3 Ca, 1 S. (the 2's are
subscripts). Plus lots of good natural biotics.

Yet when I went to look on-line just now, I didn't find that formula.
I found, e.g. 16-8-8, and one organic suggestion: Blood Meal or Fish
Meal for N; Spagnum Peat or coffee grounds for acidity, and Bone
Meal and Powdered Seaweed for P & K.

Note also that most sites said NOT to feed blueberries the first year
after planting. T/F ?

So, will someone please tell me what kind of fertilizer to use on
these blueberries, and when?

(Note: This is So. Calif. coastal. The nursery said they carry these
varieties because they are bred to require less winter chill.)

TIA

HB