Old 02-09-2011, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Mortgage Lifter

"Priscilla H. Ballou" wrote in message
In article ,
The Cook wrote:

I just made 3.5 pints of sauce from my grape tomatoes. Couldn't think
of anything else to do with them. About tomorrow I guess I will be
canning another7 quarts of tomatoes. I'm thinking about
gazpacho, hummus and tzatziki today. Bought some pita since I doubt I
will feel like making them today. Maybe I will search the freezer and
see if I still have some there.

I've been cooking with my extra cherry tomatoes (after giving several
bags away to my team lead who has two young sons), but it hadn't dawned
on me to make sauce and thus can them. Of course! How foolish of me.

One of my favorite ways to eat the extras is to cook a grass-fed beef
patty in a heavy cast iron skillet, then, when the patty's cooked, take
it out, turn up the heat in the skillet, and toss in freshly washed
cherry tomatoes. Shake the pan as they sizzle and get a bit cooked,
then pour/roll them onto the plate with the patty.

Also good with onion and mushroom put in first after a little EVOO, then
add the cherry tomatoes last. Add a glop of guacamole or just slices of
avocado to the plate with the patty and veggies, and you have a lovely
rather low-carb supper that took about 15 minutes to prepare. My
favorite kind.

Priscilla

Cherry tomatoes make the very best juice. Have a bloody Mary made with
cherry tomato juice, absolutely the best!