Old 02-09-2011, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Strawberries - second crop?

Judith in France wrote in news:67dcb977-eb13-
:

X-No Archive:Yes
On Sep 2, 9:07*am, Derek wrote:
On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 21:06:21 +0100, wrote:
I just noticed our strawbwerries are flowering again, will they
produce a second crop (frost allowing)?

Personally I always remove the flowers, would rather build up the
plants for next year's crop.
New site in the making,
Lincolnshire Gamemakers for 2012http://2012volunteer.co.uk/

Would removing the flowers really build up the plants? I have never
done that, I may well do an experiment, take off the flowers off half
the plants and not the others to see what difference there is next
year.

From what information I can gather it is absolutely ok. to leave the
flowers(blossom?) on. It is the suckers which may be growing that sap the
energy out of a plant, if you know what I mean by suckers, the new baby
plants. I think that flowers and suckers should not be on the same plant.
One or the other. you can nip out the suckers, but a plant is only ok. for
3 years? so try and root the suckers for the future to replace the current
ones when they are past their best.
Hope you can understand my muddled reply.

Baz