Old 02-09-2011, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Revitalising strangled fruit tree

On Sep 2, 11:12*am, echinosum
wrote:
I confess it, I strangled a fruit tree by tying it to its post with some
nylon string and forgetting about it. *When I remembered, this spring,
the string was embedded into the tree. *In fact it was so deeply
embedded I couldn't get it all out. *This presumably explains why the
tree has been rather lacking in vigour the last three years or so. (I
strangled another tree in the same manner, but it didn't get so deeply
embedded, and it is looking pretty well now I have released it.) *I have
seen trees looking perfectly well with barbed wire fences passing
through them - in these cases does the cambium when it obtains contact
the far side of an obstruction it meets?

Will the tree manage to heal this strangulation and reinvigorate - it
isn't noticeably more vigorous yet?

I notice that the tree has sent out a few new shoots from below the
strangulation. The lower trunk is heavily shaded so they aren't
wondrously vigorous at the moment. *Should I encourage them and aim to
remove the rest of the tree above the strangulation over the next few
years?

If it matters, it is a real quince, Cydonia oblonga (no, not a Japanese
quince).

--
echinosum

Probably it will die.
Another thing happened to me similar.
Ileft the brown twirl rabbit guard things on several trees and as they
grew they strangled the trees. Completely dead. They were in long
grass & hence didn't rot in the sun and fall off as they usually do.