Old 03-09-2011, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens
j[_2_] j[_2_] is offline

Default Ponds, water lilies and nitrates

I've had my pond running for a month and it is a joy. It's lightly
planted with a water lily, some parrots feather and some other margin
plants. And 5 goldfish.

The nitrogen cycle in the pond converts fish and other waste to
nitrates. This powers the pond plants.

So, with the coming (finally) rains, I'll have excess water. I have
some memory (can't find a reference now though) of using pond water in
the garden. Any suggestions on using this nitrated water?

Also, I never thought water lilies could be so beautiful. Any way to
help them to last more than a few days?

Jeff