Old 03-09-2011, 01:21 AM posted to rec.gardens
Chandler Chandler is offline

Default Fertilizing blueberries

On Sep 1, 4:54*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
I put in two bushes a few months ago, in my own very good planting
mix. *Being new at blueberries I let the nursery sell me a box of
E.B. Stone Organics food for Azaleas, Camellias and Gardenias --
plants that also need acidic conditions, which they said would be
appropriate for blueberries.

The formula is % 5 N, 5 P2O5, 3 K2O, 3 Ca, 1 S. *(the 2's are
subscripts). *Plus lots of good natural biotics.

Yet when I went to look on-line just now, I didn't find that formula.
I found, e.g. 16-8-8, and one organic suggestion: *Blood Meal or Fish
Meal for N; Spagnum Peat *or coffee *grounds for acidity, and Bone
Meal and Powdered Seaweed for P & K.

Note also that most sites said NOT to feed blueberries the first year
after planting. *T/F ?

So, will someone please tell me what kind of fertilizer to use on
these blueberries, and when?

(Note: *This is So. Calif. coastal. The nursery said they carry these
varieties because they are bred to require less winter chill.)

TIA

HB

Go ahead and do what Billy said to do. I'm assuming it works.