Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Apple tree info

kay wrote in news:kay.8d6f496
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Why do you want it in a pot? Aren't you going to set yourself up with a
permanent problem of watering it?

I can't answer the question, but according to friends who have allotments,
you are not allowed to grow a permanent, freestanding tree directly into
the soil. I suppose the reason is that after the tree is planted and a new
tennant takes over the plot he/she might not like it and would have a bit
of a job removing and disposing of it.
Having said that, there are some large fruit trees on the local site.
Probably planted years ago before the rules changed.

I can see your point with the watering, but not a permanent problem because
it would be in a portable pot?

There are those on that site who accept changes and they tend to be 25-40
age IMO, and there are the the older, more militant group who would keep in
their clique because they have had a tennancy for more years than King Tut.
and think they own the place, and also have plots with water supply taps,
thinking it is their personal supply and also think they must be the first
in the queue. Bah!

Well that's how I see it, as do the newish, more recent tennancies.

Baz