Old 03-09-2011, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default Ponds, water lilies and nitrates

On Sep 2, 4:27*pm, j wrote:
* *I've had my pond running for a month and it is a joy. It's lightly
planted with a water lily, some parrots feather and some other margin
plants. And 5 goldfish.

The nitrogen cycle in the pond converts fish and other waste to
nitrates. This powers the pond plants.

* *So, with the coming (finally) rains, I'll have excess water. I have
some memory (can't find a reference now though) of using pond water in
the garden. Any suggestions on using this nitrated water?

Also, I never thought water lilies could be so beautiful. Any way to
help them to last more than a few days?

Jeff

In a large scale aquaponic system there maybe some concerns on waste
that need to be addressed but as described there is really no problem
with using your enriched pond water on your land garden, It is just a
weak fertilizer with that few fish. Use normal caution in applying
nitrogen late in the season to some plants. I would recommend getting
a good EC or PPM meter to periodically check levels to ensure that are
in balance.