Old 04-09-2011, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is there a mycologist in the house?

In article ,
Spider wrote:

Thanks for that link, Jake. Fortunately, the lack of mushroom odour
relieved my suspicions somewhat, but having had HF in the garden before
(indeed, it is in a number of gardens in our road), I was concerned,
particularly since Birch is susceptible to it.

Well, yes, but don't panic over it. If it was a tenth as lethal as
the uninformed press made out, we wouldn't have any old woodlands!
Birch is the number one tree for mycorrhizal associations, and is
always a bit problematic in rich soils, which makes it VERY hard
to tell whether a fungus on its roots is friend or foe.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.