Old 04-09-2011, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Potato growing

Bob Hobden wrote:
We got a bit tired of all of the digging up and not finding them all. This
year we did them in buried bags. The number of spuds seems to be a lot
smaller, but they're an /awful/ lot easier to remove, and it will hopefully
stop the millions of potatoes cropping up where they're not meant to next
year.

I always think it's the thorough deep digging looking for spuds every 4
years (4 year rotation) that makes the soil deeply friable. Who needs double
digging when you grow spuds.

I think you're probably right. That and the manure/compost added. But it's
ok, we dug the bags in, so there was still a fair bit of digging put into
it. Plus we riddled the soil into the bag, so there was a lot of spraff and
stones removed during the process.