Old 05-09-2011, 10:08 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry View Post
Probably it will die.
I have little doubt it won't. The strangle has been mostly relieved, and it has been alive but lacking vigour for a few years. The question is whether it will regain its vigour, of its own accord, or whether I should encourage some shoots from below the strangle.

It now occurs to me that I could simply reduce the crown above the strangle without removing it, to a size the strangled trunk can more easily feed, at least for now, in case it doesn't fully recover. And some of the new shoots can add additional growth. The new shoots are about 2 ft above the ground.