Old 05-09-2011, 06:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default what is this and how can I eradicate it?

On Sep 4, 7:25*pm, cheeky chappie cheeky.chappie.
wrote:
hello, this is my first post on what appears to be a great forum,
pleased i found the place!

my sister quite enjoys weeding, says she finds it kind of therapeutic
... i on the other hand hate it with a vengence! *in my front garden
there are 4 x borders surrounding a regtangle of grass, there's also a
circle of earth in the middle. *i've been in the place for just over a
year and have recently planted up the borders with various evergreen
shrubs as the previous owners seemingly gutted what had been a really
nice garden, so i'm starting from scratch i suppose.

the thing is the garden is being plagued by this stuff:

'[image:http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2804/garden1d.th.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/3uregru)

bit more of a close up:

'[image:http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/7500/garden2d.th.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/3v8jbud)

it looks innocent enough, as if it will just pull up quite easily and
without resistance, no chance! *it has a fine (thread like) root system
that seems to run everywhere under the surface! *i've tried turning the
soil and pulling out as much as i can, turning the soil and using a
weedkiller etc etc but give it 2-3 weeks and back it comes bold as ever

is there anything else i can try that might keep it at bay for longer or
maybe eradicate it altogether ... or am i destined to have to weed every
other weekend during warmer months for the rest of my puff?!?

oh and any ideas what it is?

--
cheeky chappie

Another alternative is to cover the ground with thick black plastic
sheet for a few months if you don't like the weedkiller solution.