Old 05-09-2011, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jake Jake is offline

Default Revitalising strangled fruit tree

On Mon, 5 Sep 2011 09:08:08 +0000, echinosum
wrote:

harry;935074 Wrote:
Probably it will die.

I have little doubt it won't. The strangle has been mostly relieved, and
it has been alive but lacking vigour for a few years. The question is
whether it will regain its vigour, of its own accord, or whether I
should encourage some shoots from below the strangle.

It now occurs to me that I could simply reduce the crown above the
strangle without removing it, to a size the strangled trunk can more
easily feed, at least for now, in case it doesn't fully recover. And
some of the new shoots can add additional growth. The new shoots are
about 2 ft above the ground.

I've been thinking - in an earlier post in this thread I mentioned a
tree that had grown out around a heavy tree guard (not wire mesh -
this was metal fence standard!). If all that you were using was nylon
string, the cut can't be that wide and the tree can't be that big -
even nylon will break under too much strain.

Might it be possible to just pull the top of the tree over enough with
some ropes to press the edges of the cut together and then tape over
as if grafting? Then just leave in place for a while (don't ask how
long) and with luck the tree will heal itself.

Just a thought.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk