Old 05-09-2011, 06:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Baz[_3_] Baz[_3_] is offline

Default Load of manure

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
:

You lucky chap. Round here the stables use so much sawdust and cruder
wood stuff that any manure from them needs to be composted for six
months or more before it's usable (and that's after it's spent six
months in their own rotting pile). And what they say is "rotted"
usually isn't - you know, that lovely earthy smell and almost black
colour are both strangely absent and the delivery really stinks like
s***! After a delivery, anyone within a mile of the local allotments
hopes the wind's blowing the other way . I had to stop getting
delivery at home because the neighbours couldn't stand it.

Though playing safe by keeping it away from anything now in the ground
(unless you're certain how well it's rotted) I'd go in the order of
where you plan to plant:

First: Potatoes
Second: Brassicas
Third: Beans
Fourth: Peas

Can't remember why, but I've always kept manure away from carrots and
parsnips after loads of educating from the allotment sages in my
youth.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

I think mine is properly rotted. I have the stable manager's word on this.
I am old fashioned, but I take a promise as a promise that I like it all on
paper. If it all goes pearshaped, I have it. Or it has proved so over the
years if you deal with reputable and trusted firms.

We are clearing this first load onto the potato bit/patch now as we have a
cuppa between barrows. All of the first load, and it won't go far enough I
don't think, but it is the biggest patch. Just have to see won't we.

Thanks
Baz