Old 05-09-2011, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default ok Gunner, here's where we are at

On Sep 4, 7:10*am, songbird wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Bird, You guys should be darn proud, 20 #s a plant is exceptional in
any climate. Just know that would not happen here without some help.
Hell, a lot of help, hence the BS hothouse vines sure taste better
than the Fl field pinks shipped up here. So I tweak under lights.

I also agree w/ ya, you can't place a price on a quality product. So
I don't understand "whats the price" thing was? You would not be
pulling 20 # here and you admit you can't compete with the commercial
growers on price point. Kinda sounded like you were tag teaming with
billy, one of those organo vs. the world folks when we started this
little posturing game.

My garden is a cook's garden. I do really good with it because of a
lot of good teachers around the world. My rosemarys are not the
Mediterranean quality I have known but I can tweak em in a green house
better to taste than I can in the cool wet short growing season we
have here. That is priceless to have that. Sure nice in the winter to
have some rosemary garlic trashcan potatoes from your own garden.
Same for the many varieties of peppers, epozote, basils, marjoram/
oregano,Bay Laurel .... you get the picture I'm sure. So growing my
own is much better than not. The 20-30 bucks a month is acceptable to
me , again especially in the winter when I'm in my greenhouse. I still
have time to review the seed catalogs in front of the winter fire with
the dog at my feet as you do

As for your sermon of "go forth and cause no harm". Your preaching to
the choir, maybe not yours perhaps and certainly not the billy bad
goat Doom and Gloom Fringe Band. I do not see it as an "either/
or". You've even stated you use billy's evil OP. But billy has
never been anywhere nor seen anything except what he reads on the
Internet to really compare. I have been around the world a time or
two to appreciate the little things that American billys seems to
think is exclusive to the Organos. He has no bona fides except from
his Amazon Organo book of the month club . Your 20# @ give you
some. My Inlaws in Detroit didn't have such luck.

Just know I'm using less 'cides than most in my IPM schedules and
certainly less water than dirt scratchers except mine is about equal
in the hottest part of the summer when our soil drains too well.
Luckily we have Hydropower here so my energy/water is cheap. Old Sol
is not always here for ya in the PNW. You results may vary in the
Great Lakes.

Regardless, The best to you birds. I also hope you keep your land
for many years to come. Also know my grandkids will be helping yours.

BTW, Miracle-Gro is still OK to use