Old 06-09-2011, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default tomatoes, extending season, peppers (was: ok, Gunner...

Gunner wrote:
Outstanding Birds!

Mine are not coming in as fast as the weather was very cool and wet
this year, still have some flowers on the Stripies and purples. Day
& night weather tomato good for the next 10 days though. Should be for
the next 30 as well. Cherries have been going like gang busters esp
the Orange. Made a great little roasted vine cluster Caprisan salad
with the Red Cherries and my globe Basil on a toasted Tuscan bread a
bit of garlic and EVOO. Almost orgasmic! In retrospect should have
stayed with day long lighting though. Too cool to school I guess. I
was hoping you organo farmers actually had an edge but no such luck
in the PNW. Light and temps are still the key up here.

if you are in the cloudy western part then
it would be tougher. do you select shorter
season and smaller varieties to grow?

in the eastern parts where there is much
more light, then water becomes the limiting
factor. i'm lucky to have good water and soil
that holds the water along with the heat and
sun in the mid-summer.

Bit unusual to have pulled in 10 # per #5 pro container of Anchos
though in such a short season up here. Ancho/Pasilla is my fav. We
will see what my winter crop of fresh tomatoes is, along with the
fresh mesclun, Rains move back in around duck season. Should harvest
the salad stuff every 30-35 days . not much light need there.

i've not grown much in the way of hot
peppers here (i like a little heat, but
Ma cannot tolerate any). the green peppers
always do well here and i'd like to get
some red peppers going next year as they
have a lot of uses and i much prefer
eating them. if i can ever find a hot
pepper that will grow here that tastes
like the aja hot pepper sauce i had years
ago i would grow one or two as that was
mild enough for me but also had a lot of
good flavors. i dislike habaneros (they
taste like rotting fruit to me most of
the time) and halapenos are bland to me.

if the hot summers continue this might
become a good chili growing region.

You
really should consider extending your season on some of your crops.
Granted canned is good for sauces but fresh is oh so good. But hey
if your on the homestead cycle good for you. Hopefully your next
years crop is as good!

every year is an adventure.

extending one crop means delaying others
or not being able to get a garden bed
sprouted with a cover crop or green manure
in time for winter. some plantings i can
do in the fall for next year, if those
beds are tied up then i'm getting in the
way of next year's crops.

i can daydream about a greenhouse
addition all i want, but in the end the
expense isn't worth the results. i'd