Old 06-09-2011, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
'Mike'[_4_] 'Mike'[_4_] is offline

Default Winter

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Sep 2011, 'Mike' wrote:

Ferries out of Portsmouth and Poole stopped I hear :-(

Check your local news. Only the FastCats to Cherbourg are cancelled.

Just seen this posted

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/weat...ice-40533.aspx

It goes without saying that the hovercraft will be suspended!

and now ........

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/car-...ded-40540.aspx

Page not found

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Sorry about that David. However and in brief, a couple of companies, Red
Funnel and Wightlink hold us at ransom to use them to get to England. The
ferry in question is a massive 'thing' which has ridden roughshod over
everybody in the interest of 'The Back Pocket'. The subscribers of this
newsgroup in business will know what I mean. These massive ferries are
liable to windage. For the benefit of those who only have experience of
their bath water, 'windage' can be explained as the effect of the wind on
the side of a high sided vessel. Consequently, these new ferries going into
and out of the beautiful and twisting entrance to Lymington, have problems
with the possibility of being blown onto the mud flats. It is therefore a
case of 'Sod you Jack. we are ceasing the ferries. WAIT'

That said, the Isle of Wight is worth dropping five ranks in the Civil
Service to return to. The irony is, that in the late 80's when was employed
in shipbuilding, 'I' was involved in the design of Red Funnel Ferries :-(((

I have simplified these nautical and technical matters because I know there
are those who have salt in their blood, ....... so we have been informed
;-((

Mike