Old 07-09-2011, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Big garden fail again.

"DogDiesel" wrote in message

"phorbin" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

phorbin wrote:

Do you mean ipomoea, calystegia or convolvulus arvensis, or a
combination of all three? (morning glory, false bindweed, field
bindweed)(know your enemy))

We have all three but we -like- morning glories.

It seems to me that you put too fine a point on it: All are
Convolvulaceae.
The differences among them are purely academic. All have the same
invasive
growth habit. I don't believe most people can or do distinguish among
them. I
can't speak for anyone else but I certainly make no distinction when
pulling the
seedlings. Many (if not most), including some morning glories, are
classified as
invasive noxious weeds by USDA and among the states and for good reason.
Some of
us do not "like" morning glories.

Maybe so, but arvensis, is a tough persistent perennial and the worst of
the lot in our zone 5 climate. It's the weed we work hardest on.

I figure that if you don't know the enemy you wind up in one kind of
trouble or another either working too hard or not hard enough.

I've got four different colors , now that I got this reference. white
bindweed , the dwarf tri color one. a purple one . pinkish one,

Diesel.

I found an orange one at a friends place yesterday. The blossom is smaller
but bright orange. I was tempted to look for seed but the leaves and vining
habit warned me away. Isn't sweet potato in the same family?
Steve