Old 07-09-2011, 06:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Suckers from tree base

David E. Ross wrote:
The problem with dwarf oranges is that they do not have a large enough
crop. I could eat twice as many as my little tree produces. On the
other hand, even a dwarf lemon tree produces far more lemons than
anyone can use. See my
http://www.rossde.com/cooking/lemon_marmalade.html for a recipe for
lemon marmalade. Last year, I had enough lemons for this recipe,
lemons to give away, and lemons to juice for my wife to use in
cooking. We also have a large plastic bag of lemon zest in the
freezer.

We have three lemon trees and aside from freezing zest and juice we make
lemon cordial, much more flavour than the commercial kind, cheaper and keeps
well without refrigeration. A great drink for a hot day with cold water or
soda. We did have a guest who liked the flavour but wouldn't eat the zest
and fruit pulp, tossing 1/5 of each glass down the drain. tsk tsk.