Old 07-09-2011, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default tomatoes, extending season, peppers (was: ok, Gunner...

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

the green peppers
always do well here and i'd like to get
some red peppers going next year as they
have a lot of uses and i much prefer
eating them.

How do you differentiate? I see yellow and red "bell" peppers in the stores
but don't know what the differences are.

they are different varieties. if i wanted
red peppers i could have gotten the plants
from the greenhouse.

However, I routinely grow "California
Wonder" capsicum and jalapeƱo peppers and let some of them ripen on the bushes.
Allowing them to ripen on the bush does not seem to effect blossom production.

the same with the green peppers, they bloom
several times. they are blooming now and we
have small ones that have formed, but if the
weather gets cold they may never get very
large. weather this week looks to be good
for tomatoes and peppers. and getting more
things done outside.

Both kinds become much sweeter and develop fuller flavor than when green; the
jalapeƱos "seem" to be less hot, although, as hot peppers go they are relatively
mild.

mild is ok. i like just a little heat, but
not enough that you feel the skin peeling off
your tongue when you eat them.

the most i like jalapenos is when they
are smoked.

Although, when I remember to bring them inside, I can grow japs
year-'round, DW dices and freezes red and green of both kinds.

if i were further south i'd get into more
hot kinds as there is a lot of variety out
there to sample and i really am hoping to find
one that tastes like that aja pepper i had all
those years ago.

songbird