Old 07-09-2011, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens
j[_2_] j[_2_] is offline

Default Ponds, water lilies and nitrates

On 9/7/2011 11:28 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Tue, 06 Sep 2011 23:07:00 -0400, wrote:

On 9/3/2011 8:58 PM, songbird wrote:
j wrote:

I've had my pond running for a month and it is a joy. It's lightly
planted with a water lily, some parrots feather and some other margin
plants. And 5 goldfish.

how many gallons of water?

About 500 gallons.

i love the
sound of a small fountain or water fall.

http://keepsakewatches.com/misc/rainbow_small.jpg

That is a small pump running about 600 gpm and kill-a-watt says 48 W.

600 gpm is no small pump... send a couple to NOLA. And what you have
is a pool, not a pond.

My mistake: 600 gph, which would make it 10 gpm. ~$60.

I think it is about optimal for the application. Note that most
submersible pumps don't have a lot of head, they are designed to move
water efficiently over a low head. Hook it up to a short length of water
hose and you lose a *lot* of volume.

As far as goldfish pond size. 500 gallons is on the small side. They say
about 100 gallons/fish if unfiltered. 50 if filtered. For a tank and a
fancy goldfish (mine are common) about 10 gallons/fish. Koi need a lot
more room. For me, it is the right size as it fits the space.

Jeff