Old 07-09-2011, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default Big garden fail again.

"Derald" wrote in message
m...

"Steve Peek" wrote:

I grow sweet potatoes here in WNC. Last year's giant was almost 9 pounds,
not large as sweet potatoes go, but a respectable one for the mountains.

Nine pounds seems respectable for anyplace, in my book. I quit trying to
grow sweet potatoes down here because they fall prey to too many boring
insects
and to earwigs. I guess if I started them early enough I might have some
chance
of getting a few before the onslaught. I know folks in GA, SC, and eastern
VA
that do well with sweet potatoes.
WNC? Where are you relative to, say Spruce Pine, Johnson City, Burnsville,
etc.?
--
Derald
FL USDA zone 9a

Just a bit southwest, closer to Asheville actually.