Old 08-09-2011, 03:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Gunner[_3_] Gunner[_3_] is offline

Default tomatoes, extending season, peppers (was: ok, Gunner...

On Sep 7, 8:09*am, "Steve Peek" wrote:
"Gunner" wrote in message

it's all good, likewises,

songbird

Bird, a roll of *Visqueen and 10' PVC pipe are cheap. easy to make a
tall hoop to give ya ~ a month's stretch on the fall side *jump. You
get enough sun to make it worth the while till it dips below freezing
every night , *then again in the spring another 3 weeks but even
better is starting your seedlings. *Me? *Not w/o lights.

I gotta run also, have to do some homework on a new system I want to
get in before winter. *It may not be this year tho.

Best to all

Dam Gunner, you had to leave out my favorite chili. There's nothing like
poblanos! Choose the variety carefully, some are wimpy mild and some are
spicy. My favorite is "Tiburon". It has a very fruity heat and is delicious
in any Latin type dish. If you season is long enough they mature to a deep
mahogany. Dry them and the flavor is wonderfully spicy raisons. IMHO the
fruity heat is by far the best of the chilies.

I do agree wholeheartedly w/ ya about the "raisin" and Chile en
Nogada is an all time fav, but most here do not appreciate it enough
for me to make often. So that just for me and the wife. I usually
keep an oz or two of Ancho powder on hand, using it instead of
Paprika.

But know I just picked this evening a nice Poblano that was changing
colors. The heat; high 80s for 4-5 hrs but nights in the high 40-low
50s. Beautiful deep maroon with green highlights. There a bit small
and sparse here in the open. It was only 2 x 3 inches but still such
a pretty color. Only got 10-12 still left on the plants and the
growing phase is pretty much over with the Indian summer fading more
quickly than I would like. So some peppers and some toms are going to
go down green.

Here is the Wiki thing for those still curious about what your talking
about: "The poblano is a mild chili pepper originating in the State
of Puebla, Mexico. Dried, it is called a chile ancho. "