Old 08-09-2011, 06:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
songbird[_2_] songbird[_2_] is offline

Default peas again

Derald wrote:
songbird wrote:

ok, i can't find the exact date planted
but i think these sprouted after 4 days.
that makes the planting date around Aug
12.

Coincidentally, I noticed the Little Marvel peas planted on 9/3 peeking
through this morning, in the rain. Germination is not as uniform as I had hoped
-- Of the 176 (doesn't everybody count'em?) planted, it looks as if only about a
third are up this afternoon -- but better than feared due to an overabundance of
rain. Why does it have to come down all at the same time?

old seed? mine were all planted from freshly
harvested and dried seeds. almost every one came
up within a day of each other. we had sunshine
and i watered them each day enough to keep them
moist (but not too soggy). now i am watering them
about every other day. looking good. first time
i'm doing a full solo pea patch. they will be
falling all over each other shortly and supporting
each other too i hope. we'll see how it goes.

as for rains, i know what you mean, we didn't
have much rain here for almost two months and then
8-10 inches within a few weeks. now it has spaced
out and moderated.

The next day or two
will tell the tale on whether I have to fill in. As long as the tropical
disturbances persist in the Gulf of Mexico, we can expect quite a bit of rain
down here in the "sunshine state". I can't believe I've been here sixteen years
and still have no way to store useful quantities of rainwater.

if i had a two story house it would be a great
thing to capture the water off the eaves up high in
a cistern and then have that water plus the added
water pressure from the height to do fun things like
small fountains or even something i am calling a
moss table (the design is in my head ). in
addition to the use of the water for the gardens
of course.

On 9/4, already had to replant some Delinel snap beans planted on 8/27
because the rainfall caused them to rot in the ground and only about 1/4 of them
sprouted. Oh, well; I guess it beats trying to garden in a desert, although, I'm
sure there are those who're successful at that.

i would not like to garden in the arid southwest.
that would be tough sledding.

songbird