Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
chris French chris French is offline

Default OT OT Google chrome

In message , David Rance
writes
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, David in Normandy wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I've been using it for about 6 months. I think it is better than both.

Can you get add-ons to block all adverts and selectively block scripts
too as with Firefox? They are the main reasons I use Firefox - the web
is a different place without all the adverts and malware trying to
grab your computer. Internet Explorer is rubbish and a security death
trap.

However PC Pitstop, a well-known critic of Microsoft, reports that IE
is actually the safest browser.

IE certainly used to be pretty dire, but the latest versions seem pretty
good. both in the way they work and in the security aspects.

I can't see much difference between them.

Indeed, quite literally in fact as they even all look pretty similar
nowadays. Choice is really down to fairly small difference nowadays. If
someone likes lots of addons, or a particular facility provided by them
then they might like FF/ I've a soft spot for OIpera as I've been using
it on and off for about 13 years, but I stopped for ages when they
didn't have a built in spellchecker.

I'd use FF more except that it takes a long time to load. And all the
other browsers, apart from IE, are based on Firefox.

Nah.

Opera is totally different, ditto Safari. Chrome is based on the Webkit
rendering engine (as well as Safari and others) Opera uses it's own
rendering engine (Presto IIRC)
--
Chris French