Old 10-09-2011, 12:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mint Tea fertilizer

Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Dodge wrote:
Hello!

I know that you can use comfrey tea, and even normal 'builders' tea
as a plant fertilizer.

Can anyone think of a reason why I shouldnt use Peppermint Tea?

It must contain nitrogen and other goodness?

Must it? Because it smells so nice? I doubt there is any
significant mineral content. Think of it this way, there is little
nutrition in whole leaves and your tea is only extracting a small
amount of what is there. I could be wrong and I haven't seen any
analysis that would settle it one way or the other.

David

Maybe "USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference"
http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

Enter "Mentha spicata", and select "spices and herbs" from "Food
Groups".

I could play with this all day! Peppermint comes up under Mentha x piperita
but they don't have comfrey. Compare to spinach and kale it seems leafy
greens have some potassium (about half of 1%) and not much else in the way
of minerals useful for plants that is soluble. Nitrogen is not mentioned as
such but it will be mainly bound in the proteins and so not extracted in a
tea. I can think of much easier and more effective ways to get some potash
into my soil, keeping in mind that whatever you get out of your tea came out
of the soil in the first place.