Old 10-09-2011, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Why do gardeners hate cats?

"harry" wrote in message
On Sep 9, 1:43 pm, Melanie Sands wrote:
Okay, so I've done a bit of googling and snooping in the posts in this
group to find out why.
There's much talk about "crap" and "poo" - but are you sure it's not
HEDGEHOGS that are doing the dirty?

We have an office/workshop surrounded by fields and allotment
gardens / community gardens.
Often, cats come by and especially in the winter when it's really
cold
(I live in Switzerland) I feed them, thinking (wrongly) that if they
don't
have a collar they must be wild/stray cats.

Come summer, many of the garden allotment folks also feed the cats
with barbeque sausages etc., but others poison them or, as one
gardener told me, he "presses their heads down into the soil until
they are kaputt".

Over the past 6 years, over 12 cats suddenly disappeared:
on this page there is a pixture of our "gazebo" on our parking lot,
where I
have potted plants, and the only animals who crap there are
said hedgehogs. The cats were always very
tidy:http://roundtablespage.tvheaven.com/photo.html

Latest disappearance victim is my own cat Büsli
who was not only sweet and affectionate and followed
me round like a dog, but was also an expert mouse-catcher -
very useful as we have food in
ourfice/workshop:http://roundtablespage.tvheaven.com/photo2.html

so I'm wondering - do gardeners WANT mice?

I just don't understand the fuss. If you like nature, surely
you like nature's creatures - especially such useful
ones and low-maintenance ones!

Melanie

Cat s are not natures creatures. They are a feral menace to our
wildlife. They don't belong in our countryside/gardens.
I don't understand why cat owners own cats or leave them run loose.
They should be kept in cages ike a hamster or fenced in. You can't
leave a horse or a dog run loose, why should a cat be let run loose?
Nasty smelly things. You can always tell when there is a cat in
someone's house by the stench when you walk in the door. I don't
suppose they notice.

I always knew there was something wrong with my nose, I have had cats around
me since I was very small, and I have never, ever had any trouble with them
smelling, in fact when I was small, female cats in those days always
produced loads of kittens as operating on them to stop that was not easily
done, vets cost a lot of money and most people could not afford that, in
those days small boys were always dressed in pinafores which had a large
pocket in the front, when our cats had fed the kittens I always took them
and put them into the pocket and carried them with me until the parent cat
wanted to fed them, then I passed the kittens back to her, and again when
she had finnished feeding them I picked them up again back to the pocket!

Cats are as natural as any othe animal and they are native to this country,
unlike the grey squirrel!

The real menace to our wildlife is the grey squirrel which plunders birds
nests damaging the eggs and killing the young birds!

Alan