Old 11-09-2011, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Melanie Sands Melanie Sands is offline

Default Why do gardeners hate cats?

On 10 Sep., 08:14, harry wrote:

Cat s are not natures creatures. They are a feral menace to our
wildlife. *They don't belong in our countryside/gardens.
I don't understand why cat owners own cats or leave them run loose.

Go ahead, put all the animals in cages. No more free-flying
birds! Then they won't poop on our cars or fly into our
airplanes!
No more free-swimming fish in the ocean, then they won't eat us!
No more insects in the air, then they won't sting us or
fly into our nostrils and land in our drinks and settle on our
picnic-food!

They should be kept in cages ike a hamster or fenced in.

Ah - now finally I understand why SOME gardeners are behind fences!

*You can't
leave a horse or a dog run loose,

Yes, unfortunately. Extremely unnatural situation nowadays.
Pigs not allowed to run out into the field, but have to slip
around on shite-covered concrete floors, each calf torn away
from its cow-mother after 6 weeks, cows tied up by their tails
in the barn, chickens cooped up in horrid sheds,
rabbits in cages the size of two sheets of paper...

Human beings really are shite to animals.

why should a cat be let run loose?
Nasty smelly things. *You can always tell when there is a cat in
someone's house by the stench when you walk in the door.

That's because they are locked up and forced to pee into a
non-flushing toilet, instead of being able to do their stuff
outside and cover it up with sand/earth, as free-running cats DO.

Of course, our own, human toilets always smell of Chanel Nr. 5 when we
go to the loo...in fact, we humans always smell just wonderful,
whether it's our breath, our armpits, our private parts, our scalps,
our feet - nothing like all those smelly animals, euwwh!

As for cats wrecking a fresh flower bed or freshly planted seeds -
bullshit! I've planted seeds and forgot to cover the pots with
netting, and the next day I saw crows and smaller black-coloured birds
digging up the seeds with their beaks and tossing the earth around
everywhere,
and by the time I went outside, narry a seed was left in the pots.

I berated myself for being such an amateur, and thought how every
professional gardener knows one has to cover a freshly-
planted bed with protective netting till the seeds had started to
push through the earth!

BTW, I read on a previous cat thread about a woman watching two cats
"crapping on her lawn". The cats were quite right. A lawn is
an abomination! If someone gave me a lawn, I'd instantly mix
a few kilos of various flower seeds and scatter them over the
grass and water them to get a lovely multi-coloured mini-meadow
one can really sink one's feet into! Low-maintenance and so
much better for the environment, too.

By the way, if those community-gardeners at our office were less
interested in
guzzling beer/barbequeing/burning wet leaves (which is against the
law)
on their allotments and more interested in picking up the pears,
peaches, apples
and grapes that rot on the ground under their trees, and cutting
their cabbages and lettuce before it all shoots up half a metre,
I'd maybe take them seriously as gardeners, instead of as the
AA-reject animal murderers they are.

Oh, and by the way - since I put out bowls of milk and canned, meaty
cat food, the long brown slugs have left off eating my plants and
drink the milk and gulp down the cat food. Works better than beer
and slug poison!

Melanie