Old 12-09-2011, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Steve Peek Steve Peek is offline

Default rabbit pellets.

Rabbits are great for protein production. One buck and 2-3 does can produce
over 200 pounds of very low fat protein per year.

Rabbits are normally raised on hardware cloth floored cages that are set up
well off the ground. The urine and feces fall through onto the ground. The
manure is quite "hot" and will easily burn plants. It should be composted
before use.

New Zealand and California are two well thought of meat breeds. They have
fairly large litters and are generally good mothers. The young are usually
fryer size by 6-8 weeks and mom is ready to breed again. Young does are
ready to breed at about 3 months and produce a litter in 28 days, thus the
term, "breeding like rabbits".

Rabbits definitely have a place on the subsistence farm or just for a
variation of protein. I can butcher 3 rabbits in the time it takes me to
butcher 1 chicken.

Sorry, just gabby this morning,
Steve
"DogDiesel" wrote in message
Anyone have rabbits for meat and use the rabbit pellets for their garden.
I wouldn't mind hearing about the rabbits in general.
If its worth the hassle. or not.

Diesel.