Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato disaster

In article ,
shazzbat wrote:
"harry" wrote in message

Tomato material is now being segregated for disposal away from the
garden. I'd burn it, but the guy two doors away is an arse about
smoke.

Waste of time.The spores are everywhere. It is the temperature/
humidity triggers it. I just compost mine even if blighted. Don't
have any more problems than average..

Spot on. I did the same for 20 years.

The only things that you need to burn are those with durable spores,
where the transmission is through the soil. And it doesn't help
for those, because there are always enough spores left in the soil
to restart the problem :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.