Old 12-09-2011, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden[_3_] Bob Hobden[_3_] is offline

Default Tomato disaster

JonH wrote

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

"Pete C" wrote .

Not been to allotment for a few days. Went this morning expecting to pick
lot of toms. A sad sight met my eyes, all tom plants dead/dying and fruit
rotting! A wander around the site showed similar on almost every plot.
One
lady said she thought there was a cold night last week.....but frost? Am
depressed....all that hard work wasted.

Not frost but Blight, everyone on our site has lost all their Toms except
us, again. Must really **** them off. I spray ours with Bordeaux Mixture
and
have done it twice so far and we also only grow Blight resistant
varieties.
(Ferline, Fantasio and Legend)
I noticed at RHS Wisley this week they spray all their potatoes with BM
too
but a sign beside them said " Sprayed with Bordeaux Mixture which will
shortly be taken off the market" for goodness sake is this a policy
designed
to stop us growing any food ourselves. And yes we have stocked up.

Has just kicked in here too. However, I have made two 5 kg batches of
green tomato chutney before the blight showed.

Tomato material is now being segregated for disposal away from the
garden. I'd burn it, but the guy two doors away is an arse about
smoke.

We used to make such things and two years down the line throw it away
because we don't eat it, a bit like blackcurrant jam. That is why we have
replaced the currant bushes with cherry trees.
We just throw it all on the compost heap, green toms and all, it won't cause
any infection provided it rots.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.