Old 13-09-2011, 07:11 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture
Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] is offline

Default horses love acorns; stories about my horses and cats

I was pleasantly surprized last week, the horses love acorns from oak
trees. I would have thought the
tannic acid in them was too strong to be palatable and that they would
also be rather tough to grind.
But apparently not. And also, a lot of people think a horse behaviour
of chewing on wood is abnormal.
I think it is normal behaviour since when I throw them tree branches
to eat the leaves, they also
chew on the cambium green layer for nutrients. So horses chewing on
wood is their way of saying
that they want some green tree bark to satisfy their craving. When I
let the horses
loose each day, they head for the apple trees first, then the pears,
and finally the acorns, and then
the grass.

Also, with my headlamp, I usually see the reflection in the horses
eyes and the cats, but also
I now see that large spiders have those reflecting eyes.

ArchimedesPlutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium