Old 14-09-2011, 09:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
DogDiesel DogDiesel is offline

Default rabbit pellets.

Ross@home wrote in message
news
On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 10:51:31 -0400, "Steve Peek"
wrote:

Rabbits are great for protein production. One buck and 2-3 does can
produce
over 200 pounds of very low fat protein per year.

Rabbits are normally raised on hardware cloth floored cages that are set
up
well off the ground. The urine and feces fall through onto the ground. The
manure is quite "hot" and will easily burn plants. It should be composted
before use.

We raised rabbits commercially for many years and that statement is
contrary to anything we ever read in related literature.
Rabbit manure is one of the few "cold" manures, does not have to be
composted first and can be applied directly to your garden.
We have a large garden and all our rabbit droppings were applied to
it, right from the barn. I wish we still had a regular supply.
The following is excerpted from a document entitled Raising Rabbits by
Washington State University:
quote
Rabbit manure is a valuable fertilizer sought
by many horticulturists. Generally speaking
it is not considered to be a "hot" manure
and may be used freely.
end quote

Ross.

I agree, you can put it on straight. Its a well known fact.

Diesel.